Common sense tips here.
Read more about staying safe
Shark hazard mitigation strategies.
Read More about Shark hazard mitigation strategies
News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Shark ADVICE for the Meelup shark monitoring receiver07 December 2017
Update on 8 December at 2.00pm:
- The satellite linked Shark Monitoring Network receiver at Meelup is back in service.
- The Shark Monitoring Network is now fully operational.
Alert issued 7 December:
A shark ADVICE has been issued for Western Australian water users due to a partial outage in the shark notification system.
- The satellite linked VR4G receiver at Meelup is out of service.
- The remainder of the network remains fully functional.
What to do:
- Adhere to any beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers or Surf Life Saving WA.
- Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
The relevant authorities that receive Shark Notification System alerts to assist them in responses have been notified of the outage; including the Surf Life Saving WA, WA Police and relevant local government rangers.
The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development will be working to restore the system to full operational status as soon as possible.
Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the Shark Activity Map on the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity or the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA.
Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.
The Shark Notification System forms part of a range of shark hazard mitigation strategies in place. See www.sharksmart.com.au for additional information.
The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development comprises the former departments of Agriculture and Food, Fisheries and Regional Development, together with the staff of the Regional Development Commissions.