Common sense tips here.
Read more about staying safe
Shark hazard mitigation strategies.
Read More about Shark hazard mitigation strategies
News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Shark WARNING for Warnbro Beach near Rockingham01 February 2017
A shark WARNING has been issued for Port Kennedy to Waikiki Beach, Warnbro in the City of Rockingham after an increased number of reported shark detections.
- A tiger shark has been detected 18 times over the last nine days.
- The shark’s pattern of behaviour and the increased frequency of these detections may increase the likelihood of encountering a shark in this area.
What to do:
- Obey beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers or Surf Life Saving WA.
- Take extra caution in the Port Kennedy to Waikiki Beach area.
- Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sightings information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
The Department of Fisheries will continue to monitor the situation. To keep people safe, beaches may be closed.
Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the Shark Activity Map on the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity or the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA. Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.