Common sense tips here.
Read more about staying safe
Shark hazard mitigation strategies.
Read More about Shark hazard mitigation strategies
News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Shark WARNING for Gearys Beach, south of Mandurah28 April 2018
A shark WARNING has been issued for Gearys Beach, south of Mandurah, after an interaction with a shark 50 metres offshore was reported at 5pm this evening.
- A local surfer reported that, at about 4:50pm while surfing, he was bumped off his surfboard by an unknown species of shark. He described the bump as a very solid bump.
- To reduce the threat to people, Gearys Beach has now been closed by the City of Mandurah and shark warning signs have been erected.
What to do:
- Adhere to beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers or Surf Life Saving WA.
- Take additional caution in the Gearys Beach area.
- Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
Fisheries officers will patrol beaches in the area all of tomorrow.
City of Mandurah rangers are attending the area to assess the situation.
The Surf Life Saving WA Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter will conduct aerial patrols tomorrow.
Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the Shark Activity Map on the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity or the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA.
Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.