Common sense tips here.
Read more about staying safe
Shark hazard mitigation strategies.
Read More about Shark hazard mitigation strategies
News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Shark ADVICE for partial Clever Buoy outage at City Beach10 February 2017
A shark ADVICE has been issued for Western Australian water users due to a partial outage in the Clever Buoy near-shore shark detection system which is currently being trialled at City Beach.
Updated 22/02: The partial outage has been resolved and the system is now fully operational.
• The south side of the Clever Buoy installation at City Beach remains offline and sonar detections from that part of the system are not currently operational.
• The north side of the Clever Buoy installation is now fully operational.
• System operators, continue working to restore the Clever Buoy trial to full operational status.
Situation (from 10/02 - 21/02, refer update for current situation):
• There is a partial outage in the Clever Buoy near-shore shark detection system which is currently being trialled at City Beach.
• The south side of the Clever Buoy installation at City Beach has been taken offline and sonar detections from that part of the system are not currently operational.
• The north side will only be operational between the hours of 6am to 6pm until further notice.
• Operators are working to restore services to the system and will advise when they are restored.
• It is estimated that the full service will be restored early next week.
• The remainder of Western Australia’s shark notification system, including the reporting of sightings and tagged shark detections remains fully operational.
What to do:
• Adhere to any beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers or Surf Life Saving WA.
• Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
• If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
The Department of Fisheries is receiving regular updates from the system operators, who will be working to restore the Clever Buoy trial to full operational status as soon as possible.
The relevant authorities that receive Shark Notification System alerts to assist them in responses have been notified of the outage; including the Surf Life Saving WA, WA Police and relevant local government rangers.
Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the Shark Activity Map on the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity or the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA.