Shark WARNING for the Capes area between Cape Naturaliste and GnarabupCurrent Alerts and Warnings
A shark WARNING has been issued for an area between Cape Naturaliste and Gnarabup area after an increased number of reported shark sightings. Sharks have been reported over the weekend at Windmills, Yallingup North, Other Side of the Moon, Smiths Beach, Honeycombs and Gnarabup.
- A number of sharks have been reported in the area, both from public reports and the Surf Lifesaving helicopter over the period of 27 and 28 February 2016.
- A 2.5m shark was sighted at Gnarabup Beach on 27/02 and a 2.5m shark on 28/2.
- A 3.1 m shark was sighted at Honeycombs on 27/2 and a 3.0m shark on 28/2.
- A 3.5 m shark and a 4m shark were sighted at Windmills on 28/2.
- A 3m shark was sighted at Smiths Beach on 28/2.
- A 3m shark was sighted at Other Side of the Moon on 28/2.
- It is possible that the frequency or duration of the recent sightings may increase the likelihood of encountering a shark in this area. The change in activity may be due to a possible change in environmental conditions. There have been reports of unusually high numbers of schooling tuna in the area.